City Lumber Company was established in 1951 when J.B. "Boots" Conn
and brothers Otto and Charles came over from East Prairie, MO.
Calvert City was booming. In the early fifties, chemical
companies like Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company (now Atofina),
National Carbide Company (Carbide Graphite) and B.F. Goodrich
Chemical, built multi-million dollar manufacturing facilities.
By 1965, Boots had bought out both brothers and became sole owner.
Over the years,
Calvert City Lumber Company expanded and evolved with the times.
In the early 60s and 70s, Calvert Lumber contracted and built many
of the homes in Calvert City and surrounding areas of New Kuttawa
and New Eddyville. The roof truss division was started in 1971
and was one of the only two companies in the western part of the
state that manufactured roof trusses. In 1980, after
graduating from college, Boot's son Jim started a hollow metal door
and frame division of Calvert Lumber - "Commercial Door & Hardware".
In 1984, Jim purchased Calvert City Lumber Company from his family.
1989, Commercial Door & Hardware had outgrown the Calvert location
and was incorporated that same year. In 1991, Commercial Door
& Hardware moved to Paducah to a much larger facility. At the
same time, Commercial Plumbers Supply was started as a division of
Calvert City Lumber Company and Atlas Door of Paducah, an overhead
door company, was established as a division of Commercial Door &
Today, Calvert City Lumber
Company, Inc. is a full line supplier of building materials
including: lumber, windows, doors, moldings, kitchen cabinets, paint
and hardware. The roof truss division manufactures and sells
trusses for homes, pole buildings, and commercial buildings.
Calvert Lumber's pole barn division sells and erects pole buildings
of any size or specification. Commercial Plumbers Supply
furnishes plumbing fixtures and rough-in materials for commercial
buildings as well as new homes.